Featured Post

John Timothy Kelly Stearne

Here are some memories from his family and friends, for his family and friends.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Kelly and Harold Climbed a Mountain


Needless to say we were saddened to hear of Kelly's passing. He was your brother and my friend.
On hearing the news I immediately thought of this photo.



It was in 1976 and you, Rob, Kelly and I were backpacking in the Kananaskis. The photo below shows Kelly during an attempted climb of Fortress Mountain. For some reason you and Rob decided to stay in camp.

Kelly and I didn’t make it to the top but we climbed as high as we could before meeting an insurmountable cliff. I remember thinking that this was the highest elevation I'd yet achieved in the mountains. The fact that Kelly decided to give it a try is indicative of his quiet enthusiasm to try new things.

I also remember driving with you in downtown Calgary when they announced that Kelly and his curling crew had won a major curling event (I believe it was one of the times they were crowned World Junior Curling champs). Needless to say you were overjoyed at your younger brother's accomplishment and were very proud of him, as were we all (I seem to recall a lot of honking). It's not everyone who can claim they have a brother or friend who's a world champ!

He'll be sorely missed by so many. May wonderful memories give you comfort during this time of sorrow and reflection.


No comments:

Post a Comment